Unit 1: Wit and Wisdom - The Wit That Won Hearts
Let us do these activities before we read
Selected Qualities: wise, clever, observant, charming, confident, humorous, creative.
Reasons:
- Wise & Clever: A witty person needs intelligence and quick thinking to understand complex situations and find smart solutions.
- Observant: They notice fine details around them that others might miss.
- Humorous & Creative: Wit involves using humor and innovative thinking to lighten tense moments.
- Confident & Charming: They speak with self-assurance and win people over easily with their charm.
- "I can be a friend or a foe, depending on how you use me. I can bring both joy or pain. What am I?"
Answer: Words / Tongue (or Fire/Speech) - "What is always in front of you but can't be seen?"
Answer: The future - "I can be measured, but I cannot be touched. I can be spent, but I cannot be saved. What am I?"
Answer: Time - "What has to be shared before you can keep it?"
Answer: A secret
Discuss in pairs
Let us discuss
- False: The queen insulted the king by speaking against the quality of his poem.
Rectified: The queen did not insult the king; she simply yawned several times out of exhaustion while he was reciting his poem. - False: Tenali Rama immediately went to the king and convinced him to talk to the queen.
Rectified: Tenali Rama took time to plan a clever strategy in court to make the king realize his mistake naturally. - False: The courtiers admired the king's poem and praised his literary talent.
Rectified: The ministers avoided the king and made excuses because the poem contained vague expressions and made no sense. - False: The ministers in the court were eager to hear Tenali Rama's idea about paddy cultivation.
Rectified: The ministers and courtiers responded with sarcasm and snickers, doubting his revolutionary seeds. - False: The king never realised his mistake and continued to stay angry with the queen.
Rectified: The king realized his unfairness, apologized to the queen, and restored their happy relationship.
Let us think and reflect
Extract 1: "... The king thought I was disrespecting his poem and stormed off. Since then, he has not spoken to me. If I had known this would happen I would have chosen another day. Help me, please, Rama. Only you can help the king understand." Rama nodded thoughtfully. "If you like, I will try my best to resolve this matter, Your Highness. But this needs a well-planned approach and I may need time to find the right strategy."
- (i) Why does the queen believe that only Tenali Rama can help the king understand?
Because Tenali Rama was well known for his brilliant wit, intelligence, and unique ability to solve complex problems tactfully. - (ii) What does the queen's statement, "If I had known this would happen, I would have chosen another day", suggest about her feelings?
Correct Option: B. She regrets the unintended misunderstanding. - (iii) How does Tenali Rama's response reflect his wisdom and problem-solving skills?
His response shows that he does not act in haste. He recognizes that delicate personal matters require patience, careful thinking, and a structured strategy. - (iv) Fill in the blank:
The king's reaction shows that he is sensitive and takes great pride in his poetry.
Extract 2: That evening, the king approached the queen with a softened expression. "Thirumalambal", he began, his voice gentle, "I have been foolish. I see now that I overreacted. I let my pride blind me. I'm so sorry." The queen, who had longed for this moment, smiled and replied, "If you like, we can leave this quarrel behind us. I would very much like to listen to your poem."
- (i) Complete the following with a suitable explanation:
When the king said, "I let my pride blind me", he means that his arrogance and ego prevented him from understanding the queen's genuine situation and caused him to overreact. - (ii) Why does the queen say, "If you like, we can leave this quarrel behind us"?
She says this because she forgave the king, valued their relationship over the argument, and wanted to restore peace and happiness between them. - (iii) Fill in the blank:
The king acknowledges that his pride clouded his judgement, which shows maturity and self-awareness. - (iv) State any one characteristic that the queen's response to the king's apology shows about her.
Her response shows that she is forgiving, patient, and gracious.
- Why was the Vijayanagara Empire considered to be in its 'Golden Era' during Krishnadeva Raya's reign?
It was considered the 'Golden Era' because the empire flourished in art, literature, and architecture under the rule of King Krishnadeva Raya, who was a great patron of learning and an eminent poet himself. - How did Tenali Ramakrishna gain a special place in the king's court?
Tenali Ramakrishna gained a special place through his sharp wit, humor, poetic talent, and his clever ability to solve difficult problems as a trusted advisor. - How did the quarrel between the king and the queen affect the palace?
The quarrel created a heavy silence; the king stopped talking to the queen, and the previously cheerful corridors of the palace became quiet, gloomy, and forlorn. - What strategy did Tenali Rama use to make the king realise his mistake?
Tenali Rama presented supposedly revolutionary paddy seeds in court and remarked that if the sower had a habit of yawning, the seeds would scatter unevenly. He then explained that yawning is a natural human act, making the king realize he had wrongly blamed the queen. - What was the reaction of the courtiers when Tenali Rama introduced his 'special' paddy seeds?
The courtiers made sarcastic remarks and snickerings, mocking that the magic seeds might grow without water or might have come from the moon. - How does the story conclude, and what lesson can be learnt from it?
The story concludes with the king apologizing to the queen, restoring peace and joy in the palace, and rewarding Tenali Rama. The lesson learned is that pride and misunderstandings should not break relationships, and wit can resolve conflicts peacefully.
Let us learn
- As the teacher began the riddle challenge, a murmur of excitement spread through the classroom.
- Anaya sighed in relief she loved riddles more than solving Mathematics problems.
- 'Think carefully,' the teacher began to whisper / write a riddle on the board.
- When the question was revealed, a few students groaned, realising it wasn't as easy as they had expected.
- Some exchanged snickers, wondering if anyone at all would be able to solve it.
- Just then, Anaya tapped her book on the desk with a small thud, deep in thought.
- 'Ah, I see it now!' she said stretching with a mumble as if it had taken her great effort.
- A small breeze made the windows rattle, adding to the suspense of the moment.
- 'So, what's the answer?' the students roared with playful enthusiasm.
- Leaning forward with a smile, Anaya whispered, 'Sometimes, the trickiest questions have the simplest answers.'
| Column 1 | Column 2 | Matched Compound Word |
|---|---|---|
| (i) quick | G. witted | quick-witted |
| (ii) soft | C. spoken | soft-spoken |
| (iii) common | F. sense | common sense |
| (iv) house | H. hold | household |
| (v) book | E. store | bookstore |
| (vi) ill | B. tempered | ill-tempered |
| (vii) sky | D. blue | sky-blue |
| (viii) dance | A. hall | dance hall |
Clause Identification:
- Sentence 2: "If, by chance something were to go wrong, our farmers would suffer."
- Subordinate clause: If, by chance something were to go wrong
- Main clause: our farmers would suffer - Sentence 3: "If I had known this would happen, I would have chosen another day."
- Subordinate clause: If I had known this would happen
- Main clause: I would have chosen another day
Matching Subordinate and Main Clauses:
- (i) If it rains tomorrow, → E. We will stay indoors and play board games.
- (ii) If I had a magic wand, → C. I would give myself wings.
- (iii) If you had listened carefully, → F. You would have solved the puzzle.
- (iv) If you finish your homework, → A. We will go to the theatre.
- (v) If I were invisible, → B. I would sneak into the secret room.
- (vi) If the alarm had rung, → D. The boys would have woken up on time.
- Your teacher will be unhappy if you do not submit your homework on time.
- They would have caught the train if they had left early.
- You will fall sick if you continue to stay up late every night.
- If she knew the answer, she would tell us right away.
- She would have passed the exam if she had studied harder.
- If I had a million rupees, I would buy a big house.
- If I were a tree, I would play with the wind and talk to the birds.
- If I were the Head Teacher of my school, I would reduce homework and declare Saturdays as playdays.
- If I were a bird, I would fly across the high mountains and skies.
- If I were a magician, I would make all pollution vanish instantly.
- If I had studied harder, I would have scored top marks in the test.
Let us listen
- The rope tying the bundle of sticks was: (ii) thick
- The scholar is finally referred to as: (iii) arrogant
- 1. The visitor wanted to show his superiority over others in the palace. (Event 5 in book list)
- 2. The court scholars were afraid of the king's anger. (Event 8 in book list)
- 3. Rama accepted the challenge thrown by the visitor. (Event 2 in book list)
- 4. Rama had a bundle tied in silk when he came to the palace. (Event 3 in book list)
- 5. The great scholar was ashamed because he did not know what to say. (Event 1 in book list)
- 6. The king wanted to know more about the work mentioned by Rama. (Event 7 in book list)
- 7. Rama showed the work to be a bundle of sticks tied together by a rope. (Event 6 in book list)
- 8. The king laughed at the explanation given by Rama. (Event 4 in book list)
Let us speak
- (i) Is this your cat? ↗ (Rising Tone - Yes/No question)
- (ii) What is the name of your cat? ↘ (Falling Tone - Wh- question)
- (iii) Will you be going to your village? ↗ (Rising Tone - Yes/No question)
- (iv) Why are you going to your village? ↘ (Falling Tone - Wh- question)
- (v) Is this where you live? ↗ (Rising Tone - Yes/No question)
- (vi) Where do you live? ↘ (Falling Tone - Wh- question)
- (vii) Can I meet your parents? ↗ (Rising Tone - Yes/No question)
- (viii) How are your parents? ↘ (Falling Tone - Wh- question)
- (ix) Do you have any plans for tomorrow? ↗ (Rising Tone - Yes/No question)
- (x) What are you going to do tomorrow? ↘ (Falling Tone - Wh- question)
- Who: Who is your favourite witty character in folktales?
Answer: Tenali Raman is my favourite witty character. - Why: Why was his wit important in the story?
Answer: His wit was important to teach arrogant people lessons without fighting. - What: What is the most famous trick he used?
Answer: He tricked an arrogant scholar using a simple bundle of sesame sticks tied with a rope. - When: When did the story take place?
Answer: It took place during the 16th century during the Vijayanagara Empire. - How: How did he solve the problem?
Answer: He used clever wordplay to defeat the scholar. - Where: Where does the story take place?
Answer: It takes place in the royal court of Vijayanagara.
Let us write
A Small Act of Kindness that Made a Difference
It was a rainy Thursday afternoon when school got over. The sky was dark, and heavy rain poured down endlessly. Most students quickly ran to their school buses, but my classmate Rahul stood near the entrance, looking worried. I noticed that his school bag was torn and all his books were getting wet.
I walked up to him and offered to share my umbrella. I also helped him pack his wet books into my waterproof plastic file. Rahul smiled with great relief. We walked together to the bus stop, sharing jokes and staying dry under my umbrella.
The next day, Rahul brought a neatly repaired bag and thanked me warmly in front of our friends. That simple gesture created a strong bond between us, and we became best friends. I learnt that a small act of kindness costs nothing, but it can brighten someone's day and build lifelong friendships.
Let us explore
There was a young boy named Pete,
Who loved to eat junk on the street.
He ate twenty pies,
Right before our eyes,
And now he can't see his own feet!
No comments:
Post a Comment