js

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

English Grammar: Tenses Exercise

Q. Use the verbs in brackets in correct tense forms.

1. He (leave) for Europe last Friday.
Answer:  He left for Europe last Friday.

2. You (learn) English for six years now.
Answer:  You have been learning English for six years now.

3. He went out after he (lock) the door.
Answer:  He went out after he had locked the door.

4. I (write) this letter since morning.
Answer:  I have been writing this letter since morning.

5. You (fail) unless you work harder.
Answer:  You will fail unless you work harder.

6. I have not seen him since we (leave) school.
Answer:  I have not seen him since we left school.

7. If you (neglect) your studies, you will fail.
Answer:  If you neglect your studies, you will fail.

8. I (not meet) him for a week.
Answer:  I have not met him for a week.

9. The bus usually (arrive) here at 6 o’clock.
Answer:  The bus usually arrives here at 6 o’clock.

10. When he entered my room, I (write) a letter.
Answer:  When he entered my room, I was writing a letter.

11. The match (start) before we reached the field.
Answer:  The match had started before we reached the field.

12. It is time you (go) home.
Answer:  It is time you went home.

13. We shall wait here until he (come) back.
Answer:  We shall wait here until he comes back.

14. I (not take) my breakfast yet.
Answer:  I have not taken my breakfast yet.

15. When he came in, I (write) a letter.
Answer:  When he came in, I was writing a letter.

16. He (walk) across the road when a scooter hit him.
Answer:  He was walking across the road when a scooter hit him.

17. I wish I (accept) the job.
Answer:  I wish I had accepted the job.

18. Hurry up, the taxi (wait).
Answer:  Hurry up, the taxi is waiting.

19. They (live) in Delhi for ten years.
Answer:  They have been living in Delhi for ten years.

20. She died after she (suffer) for five years.
Answer:  She died after she had suffered for five years.

21. Ten years (pass) since I met you last.
Answer:  Ten years have passed since I met you last.

22. When he came, it (be) all over.
Answer:  When he came, it was all over.

23. He (stay) here until you return.
Answer:  He will stay here until you return.

24. When he started for office, it still (rain).
Answer:  When he started for office, it was still raining.

25. I (not meet) my friend for ages.
Answer:  I have not met my friend for ages.

26. If you (request) him, he would have helped you.
Answer:  If you had requested him, he would have helped you.

27. She (work) in this school since 1990.
Answer:  She has been working in this school since 1990.

28. We two (be) friends for long.
Answer:  We two have been friends for long.

29. We (know) each other for the last ten years.
Answer:  We have known each other for the last ten years.

30. If I (know) his address, I would have contacted him.
Answer:  If I had known his address, I would have contacted him.

31. Look, there (go) the bus.
Answer:  Look, there goes the bus.

32. He cannot play in the match as he (injure) his foot.
Answer:  He cannot play in the match as he has injured his foot.

33. I wish I (can) help you.
Answer:  I wish I could help you.

34. If I (be) you, I should not accept the post.
Answer:  If I were you, I should not accept the post.

35. I hurried back to the room (feel) very nervous, for it is much easier (steal) something than to return it undetected. I (open) the door quietly, then (stand) in the doorway in clouded moonlight. Anil was still asleep. I (creep) to the head of the bed and my hand (come) up with the notes.
Answer:  I hurried back to the room feeling very nervous, for it is much easier to steal something than to return it undetected. I opened the door quietly, then stood in the doorway in clouded moonlight. Anil was still asleep. I crept to the head of the bed and my hand came up with the notes.

36. Father is not at home, he (go) out.
Answer:  Father is not at home, he has gone out.

37. He (reach) the station before the train departed.
Answer:  He had reached the station before the train departed.

38. It’s time we (return) home.
Answer:  It’s time we returned home.

39. The new teacher (teach) us now for six months.
Answer:  The new teacher has been teaching us now for six months.

40. Mohan (reach) home before it started raining.
Answer:  Mohan had reached home before it started raining.

41. He told us that he never (tell) a lie.
Answer:  He told us that he never tells a lie.

42. Our teacher (go) to London last year.
Answer:  Our teacher went to London last year.

43. John (write) a number of short stories.
Answer:  John has written a number of short stories.

44. We should never (tell) a lie.
Answer:  We should never tell a lie.

45. The lady slipped while she (climb) the steps.
Answer:  The lady slipped while she was climbing the steps.

46. We shall wait here until he (come) back.
Answer:  We shall wait here until he comes back.

47. He talks as if he (know) everything.
Answer:  He talks as if he knows everything.

48. He jumped off the bus while it (move).
Answer:  He jumped off the bus while it was moving.

49. He said that he (post) the letter just then.
Answer:  He said that he had posted the letter just then.

50. He (be) a teacher since 1994.
Answer:  He has been a teacher since 1994.

51. We (know) each other for five years.
Answer:  We have known each other for five years.

52. The other day I (meet) a magician in the bazaar.
Answer:  The other day I met a magician in the bazaar.

53. She said that she (will) help her friends.
Answer:  She said that she would help her friends.

54. The boys (play) in the garden when the tree fell down.
Answer:  The boys were playing in the garden when the tree fell down.

55. I wish I (be) a king.
Answer:  I wish I were a king.

56. The boy (sleep), don’t disturb him.
Answer:  The boy is sleeping, don’t disturb him.

57. She (read) a book when I saw her.
Answer:  She was reading a book when I saw her.

58. She (be) a teacher since 2002.
Answer:  She has been a teacher since 2002.

59. The bell rang after we (finish) our work.
Answer:  The bell rang after we had finished our work.

60. Please ring me up as soon as he (come).
Answer:  Please ring me up as soon as he comes.

61. It is time we (go) to bed.
Answer:  It is time we went to bed.

62. She behaves as if she (know) everything.
Answer:  She behaves as if she knows everything.

63. If it (rain) we shall not go out.
Answer:  If it rains, we shall not go out.

64. We (know) each other for the last ten years.
Answer:  We have known each other for the last ten years.

65. If I (be) you, I would not have called him again.
Answer:  If I were you, I would not have called him again.

66. The principal is not in his room. He (go) out.
Answer:  The principal is not in his room. He has gone out.

67. They (live) in Delhi for ten years.
Answer:  They have been living in Delhi for ten years.

68. When he came it (be) all over.
Answer:  When he came it was all over.

69. He (stay) here until you return.
Answer:  He will stay here until you return.

70. I (go) there before she went.
Answer:  I had gone there before she went.

71. Ten years (pass) since I met you last.
Answer:  Ten years have passed since I met you last.

72. When she came, I (write) a letter.
Answer:  When she came, I was writing a letter.

73. Please call me as soon as the Cricket team (arrive).
Answer:  Please call me as soon as the Cricket team arrives.

74. He (go) to the function yesterday.
Answer:  He went to the function yesterday.

75. The glass (break) by somebody last evening.
Answer:  The glass was broken by somebody last evening.

76. He (ring) the bell when I was reading.
Answer:  He was ringing the bell when I was reading.

77. Nobody (know) where he lives.
Answer:  Nobody knows where he lives.

78. The guests (arrive) before the dinner was set.
Answer:  The guests had arrived before the dinner was set.

79. Hari (love) to read novels.
Answer:  Hari loves to read novels.

80. We (live) in Guwahati since last January.
Answer:  We have been living in Guwahati since last January.

No comments:

Post a Comment