Chapter 18: Relative Pronouns
Welcome to Chapter 18! In this chapter, we will learn about Relative Pronouns. Have you ever wanted to combine two short, choppy sentences into one smooth sentence? Relative pronouns are the secret tools that help you do exactly that. They not only replace nouns but also act as bridges (conjunctions) to connect ideas.
Topic 1: Introduction to Relative Pronouns
1. What is a Relative Pronoun?
Read the following pairs of sentences:
- 1. I met Hari. Hari had just returned.
- 2. I have found the pen. I lost the pen.
- 3. Here is the book. You lent me the book.
Let us now combine each of the above pairs into one sentence:
- 1. I met Hari who had just returned.
- 2. I have found the pen which I lost.
- 3. Here is the book that you lent me.
Let us examine the work done by the words who, which, and that:
- Pronoun Work: The word who is used instead of repeating the noun "Hari".
- Conjunction Work: The word who joins two statements together.
Because it does double work, we could call it a Conjunctive Pronoun. However, it is called a Relative Pronoun because it refers or "relates" back to a noun going before it. This preceding noun (like Hari, pen, or book) is called its Antecedent.
- In sentence 2, the antecedent of which is pen.
- In sentence 3, the antecedent of that is book.
2. Additional Real-Life Examples
- The girl who won the race is my sister. (Antecedent: girl)
- I bought the laptop which was on sale. (Antecedent: laptop)
3. Common Mistakes and Tips
Mistake: Forgetting the antecedent. (e.g., "He is who won.")
Tip: Always make sure there is a noun or pronoun right before the relative pronoun for it to relate back to! (Correct: "He is the boy who won.")
4. Quick Summary
A Relative Pronoun replaces a noun and connects two clauses. The noun it refers back to is called the Antecedent.
Topic 2: Forms of Relative Pronouns
1. Detailed Explanation
Just like personal pronouns (I, my, me), relative pronouns can change their form depending on their job in the sentence (Subject = Nominative, Possession = Genitive, Object = Accusative).
The Forms of "Who" (Used for Persons)
The forms are the same for singular and plural, masculine and feminine:
- Nominative (Subject): who
- Genitive (Possession): whose
- Accusative (Object): whom / who (who replaces whom in informal English)
Original Examples:
- This is the boy (or girl) who works hard. (Subject)
- This is the boy (or girl) whose exercise is done well. (Possession)
- This is the boy (or girl) whom / who all praise. (Object)
- These are the boys (or girls) who work hard. (Plural Subject)
- These are the boys (or girls) whose exercises are done well. (Plural Possession)
- These are the boys (or girls) whom / who all praise. (Plural Object)
The Forms of "Which" (Used for Things and Animals)
Which has the same form for the Nominative and Accusative. It has no strict Genitive case, but whose is used as a substitute for 'of which'.
- This is the house which belongs to my uncle.
- The house which my uncle built cost him Rs. 3,50,000.
- A triangle whose three sides are equal is called an equilateral triangle. (Instead of saying 'the three sides of which')
The Forms of "That" and "What"
That has the same form for singular and plural, and for subject and object. It has no Genitive case.
- He that is content is rich.
- They that touch pitch will be defiled.
- Take anything that you like.
What is used only in the Singular, and has the same form for subject and object.
- What has happened is not clear.
- I say what I mean.
- He failed in what he attempted.
2. Important Rules
- Use who/whose/whom for people.
- Use which for things and animals.
- Use that for people, animals, or things.
- Use what only for things, and only when there is no antecedent.
3. Additional Practice Exercise 1
Fill in the blank with the correct form of who (who, whose, or whom).
- The man _____ car was stolen called the police.
- She is the teacher _____ we love.
- The student _____ gets the highest marks will win a prize.
Solutions:
1. whose (shows possession of the car)
2. whom / who (acts as the object of 'we love')
3. who (acts as the subject of 'gets')
4. Quick Summary
Who changes to whose (possession) and whom (object). Which, that, and what generally keep their forms. Whose can be used for things to mean 'of which'.
Topic 3: Usage of Who, Which, and That
1. Using "Who"
As a general rule, who is used for persons only. It may refer to a Singular or Plural Noun. Sometimes, it is used for animals.
- The man who is honest is trusted.
- Blessed is he who has found his work.
- He prayeth best who loveth best.
- He who hesitates is lost.
- They never fail who die in a great cause.
- The sun, whose rays give life to the earth, is regarded by some people as a god. (Things without life)
- This is the question whose solution has baffled philosophers of all ages.
2. Using "Which" (Defining vs. Non-Defining Clauses)
Which is used for things without life and for animals. It was formerly used for persons (e.g., "Our Father, which art in heaven"). It can also refer to an entire sentence (e.g., "He is here, which is fortunate.").
- The moment which is lost is lost for ever.
- The books which help you most are those which make you think most.
- The horse which I recently bought is an Arab.
Crucial Rule: Restrictive vs. Continuative Clauses
Relative pronouns can be used in two ways:
- Restrictive / Defining: Limits or defines the antecedent. No commas are used.
Example: The man who had cheated me was yesterday arrested. (Tells us which specific man). - Continuative / Non-defining: Gives additional information. Commas are used.
Example: The teacher sent for the boy, who (= and he) came at once.
Compare:
- My brother who is a doctor has gone to America. (Implies I have several brothers, and I am specifying the doctor).
- My brother, who is a doctor, has gone to America. (Implies I have only one brother, and I am just adding extra information about his job).
3. Using "That"
That is used for persons and things. It has no genitive case and is never used with a preposition right before it (we say "the house that he lives in", not "the house in that he lives"). That is used only in defining (restrictive) clauses.
- This is the boy that I told you of.
- I know the house that he lives in.
- Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.
- I have lost the watch that you gave me.
- He that is not with me is against me.
- The crowd that gathered cheered him to the echo.
When to PREFER "That" over "Who" or "Which":
- After Adjectives in the Superlative Degree:
- He was the most eloquent speaker that I ever heard.
- The wisest man that ever lived made mistakes.
- This is the best that we can do. - After the words all, same, any, none, nothing, (the) only:
- All is not gold that glitters.
- He is the same man that he has been.
- It is only donkeys that bray.
- Man is the only animal that can talk. - After the Interrogative Pronouns who, what:
- Who that saw her did not pity her?
- What is it that troubles you so much? - After two antecedents, one denoting a person and the other an animal/thing:
- The boy and his dog that had trespassed on the club premises were turned out.
Note: That can sometimes act as an adverbial accusative (meaning on/in/at which): "I remember the day that (= on which) he came."
4. Common Mistakes and Tips
Mistake: "This is the best book which I have read."
Tip: Always use that after a superlative adjective (best, tallest, smartest). Correct: "This is the best book that I have read."
5. Additional Practice Exercise 2
Choose between who, which, and that based on the rules.
- Mr. Smith, (who/that) is my neighbor, is very kind.
- This is the only pen (which/that) I have.
- The dog and the man (who/that) crossed the street were wet.
Solutions:
1. who (Non-defining clause with commas cannot use 'that').
2. that (Prefer 'that' after the word 'only').
3. that (Prefer 'that' when antecedents mix person + animal).
Topic 4: Uses of What, As, and But
1. Using "What"
What refers to things only. It is special because it is used without an antecedent expressed. It basically means "that which" or "the thing which".
- What (= that which) cannot be cured must be endured.
- I say what I mean.
- What is done cannot be undone.
- What is one man's meat is another man's poison.
- He found what he was looking for.
2. Using "As" and "But"
In older English, as and but were used as relative pronouns.
- As: Used after words like such and same.
- Tears such as angels weep burst forth.
- He is such a man as I honour.
- My trouble is the same as yours [is].
- I collected as many specimens as I could find. - But: Used after a negative, meaning who...not or which...not.
- There is none but will agree with me. (Means: There is none who will not agree).
- There is no rose but has some thorn. (Means: which does not have).
- There is scarcely a child but likes candy.
3. Quick Summary
What means "the thing which" and has no antecedent. As is paired with "such" or "same". But can act as a negative relative pronoun.
Topic 5: Omission and Agreement
1. Omission of the Relative Pronoun
The Relative Pronoun is generally omitted when it would be in the accusative (object) case, especially in spoken English.
- Few and short were the prayers [that] we said.
- A contented mind is the greatest blessing [which] a man can enjoy.
- I am monarch of all [that] I survey.
- Men must reap the things [which] they sow.
Note: In older English, the antecedent or the nominative pronoun was sometimes left out (e.g., "Who works not shall not eat" = He who works not... / "Tis distance [that] lends enchantment"). Today, this is rare.
2. Agreement and Position
Agreement: The Relative Pronoun must be of the same number and person as its Antecedent. The verb following it must match!
- The boy who was lazy was punished. (Singular)
- The boys who were lazy were punished. (Plural)
- I, who am your king, will lead you. (Matches 'I')
- You who are mighty, should be merciful.
- The flowers which grow in our gardens are not for sale.
Position: To prevent confusion (ambiguity), place the Relative Pronoun as close to its Antecedent as possible.
- Incorrect Position: The boy is the son of my friend Mr. Joshi who won the first prize. (Did Mr. Joshi win?)
- Correct Position: The boy who won the first prize is the son of my friend Mr. Joshi.
- Incorrect: I read Gokhale's speeches, who was a disciple of Ranade.
- Correct: I read the speeches of Gokhale, who was a disciple of Ranade.
3. Common Mistakes and Tips
Mistake: "I, who is your friend, will help."
Tip: The verb must match the antecedent. Since the antecedent is "I", the verb should be "am". Correct: "I, who am your friend, will help."
Topic 6: Compound Relative Pronouns
1. Detailed Explanation
Pronouns formed by adding ever, so, or soever to who, which, and what are called Compound Relative Pronouns. They are: whoever, whoso, whosoever, whichever, whatever, whatsoever.
These pronouns do not have an antecedent expressed. They refer to general or unknown people/things.
- Whosoever (= any and every person who) exalteth himself shall be abased.
- Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might.
- Whoever (i.e., any person who) comes is welcome.
- Take whichever (i.e., any which) you like.
- I will take with me whomsoever you choose.
- Whatever (i.e., anything which) he does, he does well.
Comprehensive Practice (Solved Exercises)
Here is a selection of exercises combining pairs of sentences using relative pronouns, with step-by-step solutions.
Combine the following:
- I know a man. The man has been to Iceland.
Solution: I know a man who has been to Iceland. - The thief stole the watch. The thief was punished.
Solution: The thief who stole the watch was punished. - Show the road. The road leads to Delhi.
Solution: Show the road which/that leads to Delhi. - Kalidas is famous. He wrote some fine dramas.
Solution: Kalidas, who wrote some fine dramas, is famous. (Note commas for non-defining clause!) - This is the path. He came by this path.
Solution: This is the path by which he came.
Final Challenge: Multiple-Choice Questions (MCQs)
Test your knowledge with these 20 questions based on the chapter rules.
-
Which relative pronoun is used to refer to a person in the objective (accusative) case?
A) Who
B) Whose
C) Whom
D) Which
Answer: C
Explanation: 'Whom' is the objective case of 'who', used when the person is the receiver of the action. -
What is the noun that comes before a relative pronoun called?
A) Precedent
B) Antecedent
C) Successor
D) Modifier
Answer: B
Explanation: The antecedent is the noun or pronoun that the relative pronoun refers back to. -
Which relative pronoun never has an antecedent?
A) That
B) Which
C) Who
D) What
Answer: D
Explanation: 'What' means "the thing which" and contains its antecedent within its meaning. -
Fill in the blank: "This is the best movie _____ I have ever seen."
A) which
B) that
C) what
D) whom
Answer: B
Explanation: 'That' is preferred after adjectives in the superlative degree (e.g., best). -
Fill in the blank: "I, who _____ your leader, command you."
A) is
B) are
C) am
D) be
Answer: C
Explanation: The verb must agree with the antecedent 'I', so 'am' is correct. -
Which sentence contains a non-defining (continuative) clause?
A) The boy who broke the window was punished.
B) My father, who is a doctor, works late.
C) Bring me the book that is on the table.
D) The car which he bought is very fast.
Answer: B
Explanation: Non-defining clauses provide extra info, do not restrict the noun, and are set off by commas. -
Fill in the blank: "All is not gold _____ glitters."
A) which
B) that
C) what
D) who
Answer: B
Explanation: 'That' is preferred after words like all, same, any, and none. -
Complete the sentence: "The man and his dog _____ entered the park were muddy."
A) who
B) which
C) that
D) whom
Answer: C
Explanation: When mixing antecedents (a person + an animal), 'that' must be used. -
In the sentence "There is no rose but has some thorn," what does 'but' mean?
A) except
B) however
C) which...not
D) that...also
Answer: C
Explanation: In older English, 'but' acts as a negative relative pronoun meaning "which does not". -
Which of these is a compound relative pronoun?
A) Themselves
B) Whichever
C) Whose
D) Whom
Answer: B
Explanation: Adding -ever makes it a compound relative pronoun without a specific antecedent. -
Choose the correct sentence:
A) The boy is the son of my friend who won the prize.
B) The boy who won the prize is the son of my friend.
C) The boy is the son who won the prize of my friend.
D) The son of my friend the boy who won the prize.
Answer: B
Explanation: The relative pronoun must be placed as close to its antecedent (the boy) as possible to avoid ambiguity. -
Identify the omitted relative pronoun: "I am monarch of all I survey."
A) that
B) who
C) whose
D) what
Answer: A
Explanation: The objective relative pronoun 'that' (after 'all') is omitted in this poetic line. -
Fill in the blank: "He is such a man _____ I honour."
A) that
B) who
C) as
D) whom
Answer: C
Explanation: The word 'as' is used as a relative pronoun following the word 'such'. -
Fill in the blank: "A triangle _____ three sides are equal is an equilateral triangle."
A) of which
B) who
C) whose
D) that
Answer: C
Explanation: 'Whose' acts as the possessive form for inanimate objects (meaning 'of which'). -
Can the relative pronoun 'that' be preceded directly by a preposition (e.g., "in that")?
A) Yes, always.
B) Yes, in formal English.
C) No, never.
D) Only in non-defining clauses.
Answer: C
Explanation: 'That' has no genitive case and is never used with a preceding preposition. -
Which relative pronoun can refer to an entire sentence?
A) Who
B) That
C) Which
D) What
Answer: C
Explanation: 'Which' can refer back to a whole clause (e.g., "He is here, which is fortunate"). -
Fill in the blank: "_____ cannot be cured must be endured."
A) That
B) Which
C) What
D) Whatever
Answer: C
Explanation: 'What' means "that which" and acts as the subject of the sentence without a stated antecedent. -
"They that touch pitch will be defiled." The antecedent of 'that' is:
A) pitch
B) touch
C) They
D) defiled
Answer: C
Explanation: 'That' relates back to the pronoun 'They' going before it. -
When can a relative pronoun be safely omitted in modern English?
A) When it is the subject of the clause.
B) When it is in the accusative (object) case.
C) When it is the possessive case.
D) When it refers to an animal.
Answer: B
Explanation: Relative pronouns in the objective case (whom/which/that) are often dropped, especially in speech (e.g., "The pen [which] I lost"). -
Fill in the blank: "He says _____ he means, and means _____ he says."
A) that, that
B) which, which
C) what, what
D) as, as
Answer: C
Explanation: 'What' is required because there is no antecedent noun in either clause.
No comments:
Post a Comment