Chapter 23: Mood (The Manner of Verbs)
Welcome to Chapter 23! When we talk, we use verbs in different ways. Sometimes we state a fact, sometimes we give a command, and sometimes we talk about imaginary situations. In English Grammar, the way or manner in which a verb is used to express an action is called its Mood.
(The word "Mood" comes from the Latin word "modus," which means "manner.")
Definition: Mood is the mode or manner in which the action denoted by the Verb is represented.
There are three Moods in English:
- Indicative Mood
- Imperative Mood
- Subjunctive Mood
Topic 1: The Indicative Mood
1. Clear and Detailed Explanation
The Indicative Mood is the most common mood in English. We use it every day to state facts, share real information, ask questions, or make guesses about things we believe are true or highly possible. If a sentence is dealing with reality, it is in the Indicative Mood.
2. Important Rules and Exceptions
- Rule 1 (Facts): Use it to state a universal truth, a habit, or a past/present/future fact.
- Rule 2 (Questions): Use it whenever you are asking a direct question.
- Rule 3 (Real Conditions): Use it for "If" sentences (suppositions) where the condition is assumed to be a real fact.
3. Solved Examples
Stating a Fact:
- Original Example: I write to my brother every week.
- Original Example: Rama goes to school daily.
- Original Example: We are taught Arithmetic.
- Original Example: He writes legibly.
- Original Example: Napoleon died at St. Helena.
- Original Example: The child is alive.
- New Example: The sun rises in the east.
Asking a Question:
- Original Example: Who wrote that letter?
- Original Example: Have you found your book?
- Original Example: Are you well?
- New Example: What time does the train arrive?
Suppositions Assumed as Facts:
- Original Example: If I am to be a beggar, it shall never make me a rascal. (Assuming as a fact that I will be a beggar)
- Original Example: If it rains, I shall stay at home. (Assuming as a fact that it will rain)
- Original Example: If my friend wants it, I shall give it to him.
- Original Example: If he is the ring-leader, he deserves to be punished.
4. Practice Exercises
Identify whether the Indicative verb in the following sentences is stating a fact, asking a question, or expressing a real condition.
- Did you finish your homework?
- Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius.
- If she calls, tell her I am busy.
5. Complete Solutions and Explanations
- 1: Asking a question. (The verb "Did finish" asks about a real event).
- 2: Stating a fact. (The verb "boils" states a scientific truth).
- 3: Expressing a real condition. (The verb "calls" is assumed as a very real possibility).
6. Common Mistakes and Tips
Mistake: Confusing the Indicative "If" with the Subjunctive "If".
Tip: If the "If" statement is possible and real (e.g., "If it rains tomorrow"), it is Indicative. If it is impossible or highly unlikely (e.g., "If I had wings"), it is Subjunctive.
7. Quick Summary
The Indicative Mood deals with reality. It is used for facts, direct questions, and possible conditions.
Topic 2: The Imperative Mood
1. Clear and Detailed Explanation
The Imperative Mood is the "bossy" mood. You use it when you want someone to do something. It expresses commands, advice, warnings, or polite requests.
2. Important Rules and Exceptions
- Rule 1 (The Missing Subject): The subject of an imperative sentence is almost always "you", but it is omitted (left out). For example, "Wait there" actually means "(You) wait there."
- Rule 2 (The Verb Form): Always use the base form of the verb (e.g., go, sit, be, have).
- Exception (First and Third Person): Since you can only command the person you are talking to (Second Person), we use the helper verb "let" to create a similar meaning for the First (me/us) and Third (him/her/them) persons.
3. Solved Examples
A Command:
- Original Example: Write neatly.
- Original Example: Wait there.
- Original Example: Come here.
- Original Example: Open your book at page 7.
An Exhortation (Strong Advice):
- Original Example: Be steady.
- Original Example: Take care of your health.
- Original Example: Try to do better.
An Entreaty or Prayer:
- Original Example: Have mercy upon us.
- Original Example: Give us this day our daily bread.
Using "Let" (1st and 3rd Person):
- Original Example: Let me go.
- Original Example: Let us go.
- Original Example: Let him go.
- Original Example: Let them go.
4. Practice Exercises
Rewrite the following sentences into the Imperative Mood.
- You should shut the door.
- I want us to play cricket.
- I request you to pass the salt.
5. Complete Solutions and Explanations
- 1: Shut the door. (Remove the subject "you" and the modal "should").
- 2: Let us play cricket. (Use "let" for the first-person plural "us").
- 3: Please pass the salt. (Remove "I request you" and use the base verb "pass" with a polite "please").
6. Common Mistakes and Tips
Mistake: Including the pronoun "you" (e.g., "You sit down"). This makes it sound like a statement rather than a command.
Tip: Always start your command or request with the verb. Let the "you" remain invisible!
7. Quick Summary
The Imperative Mood is used for commands, advice, and prayers. The subject is usually a hidden "you".
Topic 3: The Subjunctive Mood
1. Clear and Detailed Explanation
The Subjunctive Mood is used to talk about things that are not real facts. It deals with wishes, imaginations, suggestions, or hypothetical situations. While the Subjunctive mood scarcely exists in everyday present-day English (people often replace it with the Indicative), it is still very important in formal writing and literature.
2. Important Rules and Exceptions
The Forms of the Subjunctive:
The verbs change slightly in this mood. Notice how we do NOT add 's' or 'es' to the third person singular in the present tense, and we use "were" for everyone in the past tense.
| Pronoun | Present Subjunctive ('Be') | Present Subjunctive (Other Verbs) | Past Subjunctive ('Be') | Past Subjunctive (Other Verbs) |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| I | I be | I speak | I were | I spoke |
| He/She/It | He be | He speak (No 's') | He were | He spoke |
| We/You/They | We be | We speak | We were | We spoke |
When to use the Present Subjunctive:
- Rule 1 (Traditional Wishes): Used in fixed phrases to express a hope or blessing.
- Rule 2 (Formal Demands/Suggestions): Used in a noun clause after verbs like desire, suggest, recommend, resolve.
When to use the Past Subjunctive:
- Rule 3 (Unreal Wishes): After the verb "wish" to show regret about something not true right now.
- Rule 4 (Improbable Conditions): After "if" to express something contrary to fact (imaginary).
- Rule 5 (Unreal Comparisons): After "as if" or "as though".
- Rule 6 (Lateness): After "It is time + subject".
- Rule 7 (Preferences): After "would rather + subject".
3. Solved Examples
Present Subjunctive - Wishes:
- Original Example: God bless you!
- Original Example: God save the King!
- Original Example: Heaven help us!
Present Subjunctive - Formal Demands:
- Original Example: I move that Mr. Gupta be appointed Chairman.
- Original Example: It is suggested that a ring road be built to relieve the congestion.
- Original Example: We recommended that the subscription be increased to ten rupees.
Past Subjunctive - Unreal/Contrary to Fact:
- Original Example (Wish): I wish I knew his name. (= I'm sorry I don't know it)
- Original Example (Wish): I wish I were a millionaire.
- Original Example (Wish): She wishes the car belonged to you.
- Original Example (If): If I were you, I would not do it. (But I am not you).
- Original Example (If): If I were you I should not do that.
- Original Example (If): If we started now we would be in time (but we cannot start now).
- Original Example (As if): He orders me about as if I were his wife (but I am not).
- Original Example (As though): He walks as though he were drunk (but he is not).
- Original Example (It is time): It is time we started.
- Original Example (Would rather): I would rather you went by air.
- Original Example (Would rather): They would rather you paid them by cheque.
4. Practice Exercises
Fill in the blanks with the correct Subjunctive verb form.
- I wish I ______ (be) a bird so I could fly.
- The doctor suggested that she ______ (take) rest for a week.
- He acts as if he ______ (own) the whole school.
5. Complete Solutions and Explanations
- 1: were. (Past Subjunctive. We always use "were" instead of "was" for unreal wishes, even with "I").
- 2: take. (Present Subjunctive. After "suggested that", we use the base form of the verb without 's', even for "she").
- 3: owned. (Past Subjunctive. "As if" shows an unreal comparison, so we use the past tense form to show it is not real).
6. Common Mistakes and Tips
Mistake: Saying "If I was you..." or "I wish I was rich."
Tip: For imaginary, impossible situations, completely ban the word "was" from your mind. Always use "were" for all subjects (I, he, she, it) in the Past Subjunctive!
7. Quick Summary
The Subjunctive Mood is the mood of imagination, formal suggestions, and unreal situations. Remember to drop the 's' in the present tense (he speak) and use "were" for everyone in the past tense (if I were).
Chapter Assessment: Multiple Choice Questions
Test your knowledge of the three moods! Choose the best answer for each question.
- What does the Indicative Mood express?
A) A command or request
B) A statement of fact or a question
C) An imaginary situation
D) A formal suggestion
Answer: B. Explanation: The Indicative mood deals with reality, facts, and asking real questions. - Which sentence is in the Indicative Mood?
A) Please close the window.
B) If I were a king, I would help everyone.
C) The Earth revolves around the sun.
D) God save the queen!
Answer: C. Explanation: Option C is a statement of universal fact. - "Are you coming to the party tonight?" - What mood is this?
A) Subjunctive
B) Imperative
C) Indicative
D) Declarative
Answer: C. Explanation: All direct questions are in the Indicative mood. - "If it rains, the match will be cancelled." - What mood is the verb 'rains' in?
A) Indicative
B) Subjunctive
C) Imperative
D) Interrogative
Answer: A. Explanation: This is a real condition assumed as a fact (it is highly possible it will rain). - The Imperative Mood is primarily used to express:
A) Real facts
B) Regrets
C) Commands, exhortations, and entreaties
D) Impossible conditions
Answer: C. Explanation: Imperative is the "bossy" mood for giving orders or making requests. - What is the hidden subject in most Imperative sentences?
A) I
B) He
C) They
D) You
Answer: D. Explanation: Commands are directed at the person spoken to (you). - Which sentence is in the Imperative Mood?
A) You are going to the market.
B) Go to the market immediately.
C) I wish I could go to the market.
D) Did you go to the market?
Answer: B. Explanation: It gives a direct command without a visible subject. - How do we express an imperative thought for the first or third person?
A) By adding "please"
B) By using the word "let"
C) By shouting
D) It is impossible
Answer: B. Explanation: We use phrases like "Let us go" or "Let him speak". - "Have mercy upon us." This sentence is an example of:
A) Indicative mood (Fact)
B) Imperative mood (Entreaty/Prayer)
C) Subjunctive mood (Wish)
D) Subjunctive mood (Unreal condition)
Answer: B. Explanation: Prayers and deep requests use the Imperative base verb form. - Which mood scarcely exists in present-day spoken English but is found in formal writing?
A) Indicative
B) Imperative
C) Subjunctive
D) Active
Answer: C. Explanation: People often replace Subjunctive forms with Indicative in casual speech today. - Which sentence correctly uses the Present Subjunctive?
A) I suggest that he goes to the doctor.
B) I suggest that he go to the doctor.
C) I suggest that he went to the doctor.
D) I suggest that he going to the doctor.
Answer: B. Explanation: The present subjunctive uses the base verb ("go") without an 's', even for "he". - "God bless you!" is an example of which mood?
A) Imperative
B) Indicative
C) Present Subjunctive
D) Past Subjunctive
Answer: C. Explanation: It is a traditional phrase expressing a wish or hope. - Complete the sentence: "I wish I ______ taller."
A) am
B) was
C) were
D) be
Answer: C. Explanation: For unreal wishes in the Past Subjunctive, we always use "were". - "He talks as if he ______ the Prime Minister."
A) is
B) was
C) were
D) has been
Answer: C. Explanation: "As if" creates an imaginary comparison, requiring the Past Subjunctive "were". - Which rule applies after the phrase "It is time"?
A) Use the Present Indicative
B) Use the Past Subjunctive
C) Use the Imperative
D) Use the Present Subjunctive
Answer: B. Explanation: "It is time we started" uses the past subjunctive to imply it is getting late. - "I would rather you ______ by train." Choose the correct verb.
A) go
B) went
C) going
D) goes
Answer: B. Explanation: "Would rather + subject" takes the Past Subjunctive to indicate preference. - Identify the mood of the italicized verb: "If my friend wants it, I shall give it to him."
A) Indicative
B) Imperative
C) Present Subjunctive
D) Past Subjunctive
Answer: A. Explanation: It is assumed as a very real possibility/fact, so it is Indicative. - Identify the mood of the italicized verb: "If I were a bird, I would fly to you."
A) Indicative
B) Imperative
C) Present Subjunctive
D) Past Subjunctive
Answer: D. Explanation: It is an impossible/unreal condition, requiring the Past Subjunctive. - What is wrong with this sentence? "The principal ordered that the student apologizes."
A) It should be "apologize" (Subjunctive).
B) It should be "apologized" (Indicative).
C) Nothing is wrong.
D) It should be "apologizing".
Answer: A. Explanation: Noun clauses after verbs of ordering/demanding take the base form without 's'. - Which of these is NOT a function of the Subjunctive Mood?
A) Expressing an unreal condition
B) Expressing a command to a second person
C) Expressing a formal recommendation
D) Expressing an impossible wish
Answer: B. Explanation: Giving direct commands to a second person is the job of the Imperative Mood.
No comments:
Post a Comment